Guantanamera- the favourite of millions worldwide  

Spanish language English language


Yo soy un hombre sincero

De donde crece la palma

Y antes de morirme quiero

Echar mis versos del alma

Guantanamera, guajira, Guantanamera

I am an honest man

From where the palm tree grows

And before dying I want

To share the verses of my soul.



Mi verso es de un verde claro

Y de un carmín encendido

Mi verso es de un ciervo herido

Que busca en el monte amparo

Guantanamera, guajira, Guantanamera

My verse is a clear(light) green

And it is flaming crimson

My verse is that of a wounded deer(servant, slave)

Who seeks refuge in the woods.



This third verse of "Versos Sencillos" is usually not part of the song



Cultivo una rosa blanca

En julio como en enero

Para el amigo sincero

Que me da su mano franca

Guantanamera, guajira Guantanamera

I cultivate a white rose

In July as in January

For the sincere friend

Who gives me his honest hand.



Y para el cruel que me arranca

El corazón con que vivo

Cardo ni ortiga cultivo

Cultivo la rosa blanca

Guantanamera, guajira Guantanamera

And for the cruel one who would tear out

the heart with which I live

I cultivate not nettles nor thistles

I cultivate the white rose





Final verse of song, as published:



Con los pobres de la tierra

Quiero yo mi suerte echar

El arroyo de la sierra

Me complace más que el mar

Guantanamera, guajira Guantanamera

With the poor people of the earth

I want to cast my luck

The brook of the mountains

Pleases me more than the sea

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

0 comments

Post a Comment